Pottergate Tower

Description

POTTERGATE 1. 5330 (West End) Pottergate Tower NU 1813 SW 4/98 NU 1813 NW 3/98 20.2.52. II* 2. Formerly part of the town's defences. Rebuilt 1768 to a design by Mr Henry Bell with a crown spire (removed in 1812). Gothick, with ornament to east. Two stages: archway with barrel vaulted passage of 3 ribs on ground floor; blind tracery panels on 1st floor which has a large ogee window with perpendicular type tracery. Open embattled parapet. Diagonal buttresses with 4 stages of blind cusped arches having crocketted labels; stunted tops. Above archway is a St Michael and Dragon, a blank roundel (formerly with a clock) and a memorial tablet: "This tower was rebuilt at the expense of the Borough of Alnwick and the new foundation laid April 28 AD. 1768. John Grey Senior, William Hindmarsh, Robert Richardson, Edward Bell, Chamberlain. To the north and south are fragments possibly of the old town walls. North, south and west fronts plainer with occasional arrow slit. Staircase in north-west corner.

Tags

Issues

Comments

Map

Images

Resources

NameDescription
Pottergate Tower Today

Pottergate Tower Today

Historic England listing: Pottergate TowerHistoric England listing: Pottergate Tower
Keys to the past: Pottergate TowerKeys to the past: Pottergate Tower

Share