In 1854 the valuer for the Enclosure Acts made an award for the enclosure of Alnwick Moor, thereby resolving a long-standing dispute over ownership between the Duke and Freemen. The settlement made it possible to take advantage of agricultural improvements and the falling costs of drainage. In 1855 the Inclosure Commissioners authorised a loan of £5,000 for fencing, draining, clearing and levelling of the Moor. By 1868 16 houses had been constructed on the Alnwick Moor allotments. These are a distinctive form, similar to a Scottish Croft, and a key component in a distinctive landscape. Some have since been abandoned. Several remain in use, although rarely in their original form. None are currently; protected, and a degree of local protection should aim to ensure that remaining examples are documented before they are modernised, and the original form is lost.