Town Hall

Description

MARKET PLACE 1. 5330 (West Side) Town Hall (formerly listed under Fenkle Street) NU 1813 SE 1/50 20.2.52. I GV 2. 1731; clock tower by Mr Bell 1767 and corner spires of tower by Mr George Hastings 1771. Two storeys and 5 bays. Ashlar with rusticated quoins. Band course to high parapet. Steps to boxed porch on 1st floor to right. Hipped slate roof with clock tower behind ridge. Larger glazing bar sash windows on 1st floor with moulded architraves. Small glazing bar sash windows on ground floor. C20 shop front with recessed doorway to left. Boldly rusticated central archway to throughpassage. Memorial tablet over central 1st floor window reads: "This Town House of the Burgesses of Alnwick rebuilt in the year of Our Lord 1731 by Edward Grey, Richard Grieve, William Forster, Robert Claxton: Chamberlains." To the left is a lead rainwater pipe head with fluted cap, the box has a St Michael and Dragon on 3 faces and also the names Stother, Forster, Gibson, Hardy and the date 1790 (possibly for roof repairs), The Fenkle Street front breaks forward slightly to the tower bay of 3 stages; a band course above each stage and an open pediment and parapet above to each side; it is capped by a small pointed cupola with a weathervane and corner pinnacles. A clock on each face with louvred openings below (original clock removed to Pottergate Tower qv 1772). A round headed window at the top of the 3rd stage and a smaller one at the base of the 2nd stage with raised surrounds, Boldly rusticated throughpassage archway at the base. Two glazing bar sash windows on each side of the tower with moulded architraves; doorway to right with raised surround; similar doorway to left now a window.

Tags

Issues

Comments

Map

Images

Resources

NameDescription
Town Hall Front

Town Hall Front by Barbara Woodhouse

Town Hall Rear

Town Hall Rear by Barbara Woodhouse

Historic England listing: Town HallHistoric England listing: Town Hall
Keys to the past: Town HallKeys to the past: Town Hall

Share