BAILIFFGATE 1. 5330 (North Side) No 2 NU 1813 NE 2/3 20.2.52. II* G 2. The Duchess's Girls School, formerly Derwentwater House. Reputedly built in 1797. Three storeys and basement. Five windows. Plain ashlar, ground floor plat band, cornice and parapet. Glazing bar sash Windows. Central doorway with side lights below a relieving arch. Six panel door - top 2 raised and fielded; patterned rectangular light above; brackets to lintel. Curved doorstep. Closed area. East elevation; 3 bays with plat band and cornice returned; central bay breaks forward and has a pediment within the parapet. Rear: 3 bays. Tripartite windows with relieving arches 1st and ground floors. Venetian windows with pointed glazing in centre light to centre of 1st and 2nd floors. Interior: fine carved Adam style chimney pieces.
|2 Bailiffgate Archaeological Assessment|
2 Bailiffgate Archaeological Assessment
|2 Bailiffgate Heritage Impact Assessment|
2 Bailiffgate Heritage Impact Assessment
|Historic England listing: 2, Bailiffgate||Historic England listing: 2, Bailiffgate|
|Keys to the past: Derwentwater House|
Keys to the past: Derwentwater House
|Keys to the past: 2, Bailiffgate||Keys to the past: 2, Bailiffgate|
|Duchess School Bailiffgate|
Duchess School Bailiffgate by Barbara Woodhouse
|Home Front Legacy (Derwentwater House)|
8th Northumberland VAD Hospital. In 1914 it took over the building (previously and subsequently used by the Duchess's School). By 1916 the hospital had moved to Alnwick Camp after the training battalions had left.