CLAYPORT STREET 1. 5330 (South Side) No 1 (The Old Post Office) NU 1815 SE 1/42 II* GV Early C19. Two storeys, attic and basement. 1+3+1 windows. Ashlar. Central 3 bays break forward slightly with pediment over. Moulded eaves cornice; slate roof with coped verges, only left hand kneeler left. One original brick chimney on ridge and a more recent one behind pediment. Two small lights in pediment. Other windows glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves; alternate triangular and segmental pediments on 1st floor, flat pediments on ground floor where 2 right hand windows have plate glass lower sashes. Large projecting pedimented portico with doric columns, approached by steps, in centre; 6 panel door. Large semi-circular archway to left to cobbled passage with double doors. Raised window surrounds at rear.
Attributed to William Newton (1730–1798). His work includes Howick Hall.
1 Clayport by Barbara Woodhouse
|Historic England listing: The Old Post Office, 1, Clayport Street||Historic England listing: The Old Post Office, 1, Clayport Street|
|Keys to the past: The Old Post Office, 1, Clayport Street||Keys to the past: The Old Post Office, 1, Clayport Street|
|An exterior view of the Old Post Office|
An exterior view of the Old Post Office, showing the front elevation from the north, with shops on either side and in the foreground and small groups of pedestrians by the shop fronts