No site

Description

St Leonard's Hospital, Alnwick


DENWICK A 1068 NU 11 SE (West side) 10/32 Ruins of St. Leonard's Hospital 31.12.69 II Hospital ruins, c.1200 re-erected c.1845 by F.R. Wilson. Squared stone and rubble with cut dressings. Hall with narrower chapel to east and other buildings (now grassed-over foundations) on south. Part of south wall of hall stands with round-arched doorway showing continuous chevron moulding, and indented hood; north jamb and a few moulded voussoirs of hall/chapel arch. Hospital founded between 1193 and 1216 by Eustace de Vescy; annexed to Alnwick Abbey 1376. Buried remains rediscovered when the field was ploughed in 1845, and re-erected on original footings. SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT

Tags

Issues

Comments

Map

Images

Resources

NameDescription
St Leonards Hospital

St Leonards Hospital

Historic England listing: Ruins of St Leonard's HospitalHistoric England listing: Ruins of St Leonard's Hospital
Historic England listing: St Leonard's Hospital, AlnwickHistoric England listing: St Leonard's Hospital, Alnwick

Share