Site of an early 19th century brewery complex, with later 19th century additions, comprising a large brewhouse, fermenting block and malthouse, which were housed within a long 'T' plan extension with a 3 storey extension and a further taller 2 storey extension. Construction was of coursed squared rubble with slate roofs.
The brewery was operated by Alnwick Brewery Company which was formed in the 1860s and registered as a limited company in 1890. It stopped brewing in 1963 but continued to run public houses and to blend whisky and rum. In 1978 it was acquired by Drybroughs Brewery and ceased trading in 1986. Although the complex had been listed in 1977 much was demolished during the late 1980s. The malthouse was converted into offices.
Planning permission was granted in 2004 for further demolition of the site and construction of flats, offices and shops. In 2006 a fire badly damaged the malthouse. Its restoration and conversion to residential use ‘The Maltings’ was completed by 2008. The rest of the site is in use as a car park.