PERCY STREET 1. 5330 (West Side) Nos 4 and 5 NU 1813 SE 1/86 20.2.52. II* GV 2. Land for Mechanics' Institute and development given 1831 by General Lambert. Two storey egypto-classical style. Three windows. Ashlar with 4 giant pilasters with palmette frieze in caps to entablature which has a central panel inscribed 'Scientific and Mechanical Institution', flanked by dies with carved wreaths. String band below 1st floor. Glazing bar sash windows with moulded architraves having entablatures on 1st floor and segmental relieving arches on ground floor with cill brackets. Central pylon doorway with bracketted entablature having 'Mechanics' Institute' on lintel; double doors of 4 panels. Kitchen block at rear to Gill's Lane. Designed by William Smith.