BONDGATE WITHIN 1. 5330 (East End) The Hotspur Gateway or Bondgate Tower NU 1813 SE 1/18 20.2.52. GV 2. Built after 1434 (circa 1450) by the 2nd Earl of Northumberland. East gate in former town walls, polygonal on each side of arched thoroughfare on outside, straight front to west. Not crenellated. Rough ashlar. Three stages. Central segmental. archway with vaulted passage on 4 wide ribs. East face: remains of large corbels in centre, panel below with much faded lion rampant by a sculptor named Matthew, narrow lookouts. West face; slight set back above 2nd stage, a plain 2 light mullion window above the archway and a blocked cross window to left. There are portcullis slits to the outer arch. Scheduled A.M.
Although often associated with Harry Hotspur, the tower was built for his son, amost 50 years after Harry was killed at theBattle of Shrewsbury.