This C18 wall with later C19 additions is designated for the following principal reasons:
* the ornamental nature of its design displays quality and craftsmanship
* it has group value with the Grade II listed Methodist Church to which it is attached
* the architect F R Wilson is a regional architect of some reputation who has a number of listed buildings to his name
905/0/10008 CHAPEL LANE 20-MAR-08 (West side) Wall to south of Methodist Church
GV II Stone wall attached to Methodist Church, 1786 with 1886 additions by F R Wilson
PLAN: an L-shaped section of walling forming an enclosed space with a Methodist Church and an associated manse.
The lower two course of this wall are composed of large sandstone blocks, the top course of which is chamfered. The upper section was added by F R Wilson when the complex of manse, church and boundary walls was refurbished in 1886. This comprises a series of ornamental stone posts, each alternating with a row of three square sandstone panels, each pierced by a roundel containing an open quatrefoil. The whole is surmounted by triangular coping stones. The eastern section of wall is pierced by a central opening with rectangular gate piers and pyramidal coping stones with identical stone piers at either end. The eastern section is attached to the Methodist Church at its north end and the south section was formerly attached to the manse, now breached.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the north end of the wall is attached to a Methodist Church listed at Grade II and it forms the garden wall of the unlisted former manse.
HISTORY: This wall forms the east and south sides of a rectangular enclosed space; the north side is formed by a Methodist church and the west side by a manse. This complex of structures was constructed in 1786 and restored and Gothicised in 1886 by F R Wilson, (1827-1894), a local architect of considerable reputation. Wilson worked as assistant architect for the renowned Anthony Salvin during his restoration of Alnwick Castle. He has numerous entries in the Northumberland volume of Pevsner and has c. 30 listed buildings to his name.