POTTERGATE 1. 5330 (South Side) Duke's Cottages [Nos 1 to 6 (consec)] NU 1813 SE 1/354 II GV 2. The Duke of Northumberland's in remembrance of those including his brother who fell in World War II. Designed by Lutyens in 1941, apparently in the style of old houses formerly in Narrowgate and built in 1948: 6 neat 2 storey cottages in sub-classical idiom. Formal layout: 4 cottages with projecting central gabled block over through passage and with 2 flanking cottages at right angles joined by short single storey wings. Brick on raised stone terrace. Each half of main block has 3 dormers. Two hipped and central one built up in brick. Glazing bar sash windows with flat etches, of 2 different sizes. Stone doorways with Gibbsian surrounds, pulvinated friezes and pediments. Two panel doors. Pantile roofs with 6 chimneys. Central cross gable has 2 window, kneelers, segmental archway on ground floor and Percy Crescent in gable. Flanking cottages cross gabled on 'T' plan, 2 windows on each but entrance sides, and parapets. Bracketted cast iron lamps on corners nearest main front having wrought iron top parts. Memorial stone set below terrace retaining wall.