GREEN BATT 1. 5330 (North Side) Nos 12 and 14 NU 1813 SE 1/260 II GV 2. Includes No 15 Chapel Lane. Early C19, (No 14 early-mid C19); 2 storeys, 2+3+1 windows. Ashlar built, slate roofs with coped verges. No 12 has 1st floor cill course and tall inserted gabled dormer. Glazing bar sash windows with fielded panels to shutters; the 1st floor window has a simple shallow balcony. Six panel door, top 4 raised and fielded; front door to left. No 14, the Black Bull Public House, has late glazed sash windows with white shutters, a central 6 panel door and a door to throughpassage on left. No 15 Chapel Lane has a casement window on 1st floor, others glazing bar sashes including 3 window return to Chapel Lane where door is situated; hipped roof to corner.
The former Black Bull public house is shown as a building on Wood's map of 1827, but the earliest reference to it as a pub was when it was offered to let in 1840. It appears regularly in directories with the last reference we have found as an advertisement in 1976. It was demolished in 1990s and rebuilt as housing.
Although the original building no longer exists it is still listed, Grade-2.