HOWLING LANE 1. 5330 (South Side) Barndale House NU 1813 SW 4/290 II 2. Now sandwiched by modern school extensions. Early C19 after 1827. Main part 2 storeys and 3 windows. Ashlar with hipped slate roof with paired brackets to eaves. Glazing bar sash windows. Projecting central box-porch. -
Built 1852-3 by Thomas Robertson of Alnwick, on land known as “Barndale Ridge”. Altered in 1903 by J. W. Douglas. Offered for sale in 1939. Considered as fever hospital for Whooping Cough among evacuees. Used as hostel for evacuees, from Newcastle, 1939. Considered as nursery school 1943. Purchased by county in 1950 for use as Nursery School. Now a special school.