Corn Exchange

Description

BONDGATE WITHIN 1. 5330 (South Side) The Corn Exchange NU 1813 SE 1/164 II 2. 1862. Two storey foyer to a long building set back up steps from Bondgate. Ashlar gable end and foyer with raised quoins and 1st floor window surrounds. Two large doorways with raised voussoirs and impost mouldings and 2 side doors. Moulded cill string to 8 1st floor openings; moulded cornice and blocking course, a small bellcote in centre with scrolls at sides. Lower gabled extension at south end.

Tate: "“Around 1850, stimulated by examples in neighbouring towns, a committee formed by tradesmen made progress for the erection of a public building for a Corn Exchange near to the Market Place - but unexpected obstacles checked the design. Another scheme, however, was subsequently carried out by private speculation and a large building was erected for the same object, and was opened as a Corn Exchange on May 17th 1862. Unfortunately the situation is inconvenient being at some distance from the market behind the south row of Bondgate and having principal access through an open yard leading from that street. The building is large and commodious: the great room is 90ft long, 30ft wide and 40ft from floor to apex of roof. On Saturdays this room is opened as a Corn Exchange at 11.30am and closed at 1.30pm. At other times the room is used for concerts, entertainments, meetings and other purposes which require more space than afforded by the Town Hall”.

Lane survey: "By 1956 the use of the building had changed to that of a cinema."

Alnwick Corn Market (Alnwick Mercury, Saturday December 1, 1860): While other towns have been taking active measures for the accommodation of those
having to deal in one of the most important productions of our county, in the erection of buildings to meet their requirements, it is somewhat surprising that Alnwick as being in the centre of a large agricultural district has hitherto done so little in the same direction. We are,
however, now glad to learn that this important want
will not be much longer felt, as a company has been
formed and a most eligible site purchased in
Bondgate Within, immediately behind the house at
present occupied by F. R. Wilson, Esq. The
situation is well chosen, being in a central position,
easy of access, with approaches both from Bondgate
Street and the Green Bat in a direct line with the
Railway Station. It is also an important matter that
provision will thus be made, in the erection of a
large and commodious building immediately
contiguous to the leading thoroughfare, for the
holding of public meetings, large sales and other
purposes, such a place having been long wanted in
the town. We understand the building will be
proceeded with almost immediately, and have only
to express our hope, that when completed it will be
found an ornamental as well as useful addition to
the town.


New Corn Market for Alnwick (Alnwick Mercury, Saturday June 1, 1861) The erection of this building upon the site in
Bondgate Street, which we indicated a few months
ago, has now commenced, Messrs. Macinlay and
Davison of this town having undertaken the work
from the designs of Mr. Thomas Robertson. The
foundations are in and the walls considerably
advanced, so that we may look forward to having
the whole completed at no distant date. Although
externally, the building will not present any striking
architectural feature, the interior will form a
spacious room 105 feet long by 52 broad, having a
gallery at one end for the use of ladies on occasions
of public meetings, dinners, &c., so that the long
felt want of some such convenient place in the town
both for the purpose of a corn market as well as for
any public assemblage, is now in a fair way of
being supplied.

Opening of the Alnwick Corn Exchange (Alnwick Mercury, Monday June 2, 1862)

This requirement for the convenient transaction of
business by the inhabitants of Alnwick and the
neighbourhood, which has been so frequently
sought after, was first opened as a market on
Saturday the 17th ult. It is hoped that, as a
commercial speculation, it may prove remunerative
to its spirited projectors. Independent of its value as
a Corn Exchange, it will be of further public utility
as a place for drill for both the Volunteer Artillery
and Rifle Corps, arrangements being made to fit it
for that purpose. The business commenced
unheralded by any inaugural ceremony, and the
buying and selling proceeded as is the wont, “where
merchants most do congregate”...
...Wheat sold at £2 17s. 1d¼ , barley at £1 14s. 3d,
and oats at £1 4s. 10d½ per quarter. The market
will begin at 11:30 am after a south train has
arrived, and will close at 1:30, subject to such
alterations as the experience of merchants and
farmers may hereafter suggest. The stalls are
arranged on the north end, and along the sides of the
hall; they are of different sizes to suit corn
merchants and extensive dealers, at rents ranging
from two guineas to five guineas per annum. It is
intended to charge a fee of one penny for every
person entering during market hours who is not
either the owner of a stall or an annual subscriber.

Tags

Issues

Comments

People

Map

Images

Resources

NameType
Corn ExchangeImage
Corn Exchange YardImage
Corn Exchange heritage report 2013File
Historic England listing: Corn ExchangeLink
Keys to the past: Corn ExchangeLink

Timeline

Share