NARROWGATE 1. 5330 (West Side) Nos 31 and 33 (General Lambert's House) NU 1813 SE 1/79 NU 1813 NE 2/79 20.2.52. II* GV 2. Earlv C19. Three storeys and basement. Seven windows. Plain ashlar; cill strings to 1st and 2nd floors, which also have moulded cornices. Glazing bar sash windows, single hung on 2nd floor. Wide 6 panel door to left; 8 panel door to right on ground floor. Railings to area.
From Heritage report:
Originally two single-pile houses, i.e. with a single row of rooms and probably in 2- storeys with a third attic floor with dormer windows, typical of the C16/17th, with No.31 having only one room up and down and No. 33 having two. The current north corridor inside No.31 would have originally been an open alleyway between No.33 and No.35. The original roofs to these earlier buildings would probably have had terracotta pantiled pitched roofs, similar to the adjoining corner buildings comprising No. 29 that were demolished in the mid C20th. The brick chimney breast in Room 24 in the Basement, has a three centred, baskethandle design arch in 225/30 x 55/60mm ‘scotch’ bond, handmade brick, indicating a date before 1725, when it was probably added to a pre-existing stone C16th chimney breast. The design of the stone Stable entrance doorway in an ogee Gothic arched head, indicates a date of c1750-1790 and the Coach House and Stable was first mentioned in the deeds of 1800. The two properties were purchased in 1811 by John Lambert, a solicitor, and both houses on Narrowgate, appear to have been faced with ashlar stone, vertically surrounding the attic dormer windows, with a parapet above. This C19th fashion unified both houses externally and internally, together with the inclusion of the North alleyway, a new South staircase, the two storey Dining Room extension to the rear in similar ashlar stone and new slate and lead covered roofs. The top of original coalchute from the alleyway to the room at the South of the Basement, visible in the North-East corner, is now below the C19th corridor floor. All of this work would have been completed before 1827, when the increased footprint from that shown on Armstrong’s 1769 plan, first appears on Wood’s Town Map of Alnwick. John Lambert was succeeded by his son Anthony in 1849 and following his death in 1856, the property was sold to William Dickson in 1861, an attorney and founding partner of the Law firm which later became Dickson, Archer & Thorp, who occupied the offices on all floors until 2003. It was probably around 1865 that the North-West rear stone extension was built as living accommodation and around the late C19th/early C20th, that the toilet tower was added to the stairwell. The property was Listed Grade II* in 1977, which included the Coach House, Stable and boundary walls, due to their pre-1948 existence within the curtilage. Narrowgate House has been on English Heritage’s Heritage at Risk Register for several years now, as Priority Category A. For almost ten years from August 2003 until May 2013, the majority of the property stood unoccupied until its sale to Mr & Mrs Johnson in May 2013.