CLAYPORT STREET 1. 5330 (South Side) No 23 NU 1813 SW 4/43 II 2. C18. Very plain ashlar building. Three storeys and 5 windows. Slate roof. Ashlar chimney to right. Late glazed sash windows, one blind over central doorway which has a good bracketed segmental stone hood.
Morpeth Herald, Sat. 1 Jan 1876: On Monday evening, the Working Men's Club, which has been erected in Clayport. Alnwick, at the expense of his Grace the Duke of Northumberland, and presented as a free gift to the town, was opened by a public meeting, which was held in the Town Hall, Alnwick, under the presidency of the Duke of Northumberland, the patron of the club. The club consists of the following rooms. On the ground floor are the dining room, smoking room, and conversation room, bar, and kitchen, the latter fitted with every appliance for cooking. There are also good cellars, pantries, and every accommodation required for the use of the members. the first floor is spacious reading room, 32 feet long by 17 feet broad, and 13 feet in height. In connection with the reading room is a lavatory; and on the same floor there is a large bagatelle room, and also a committee room, with bed rooms, and other rooms behind for the servants. On the second floor are six bedrooms, all neatly furnished by his grace for the use of the manager, his family, and staff. The ventilation of the public rooms has been carefully attended to, and they are well lighted by sunlights. In connection with this building and the baths and washhouses is a large soup kitchen, fitted up with two large pots, the soup being boiled from the bath boilers. The building has been planned and designed by Mr. G. Reavell, resident architect to his Grace, and the whele of the works have been carried out, under Mr. Reavell's superintendence, by the following tradesmen Messrs. Armstrong Brothers, masons; Mr. H. Hunter, joiner; Mr. G. Pickard, plasterer; Mr. T. Rutherford, slater; Messrs. Adam Robertson and Son, painters aad glaziers; Messrs. Wilkin and Dickman, plumbers and smiths; and the furnishing by Messrs. Thomas Robertson and Son.