WAGONWAY ROAD 1. 5330 Former Railway Terminus SU 1912 6/385 II 2. Rebuilt 1887 Probably by William Bell (architect to the N.E.R.) who built the Darlington Bank Top Station, which it resembles, in the same year. Large and solidly built of rock faced snecked rubble with slate roofs "to be worthy of the ducal town" and to accommodate the Alnmonth and Coldstream branch lines. The west, booking hall, front is single storey with rounded corners, 2 pairs of windows at the sides and on corners and triple openings flanking the large central entrance. Cast iron bracketted canopy across centre portion. Three ridge chimneys; tops of train sheds, set back now ridge, capped with open segmental pediments. Plinth; modillions to high eaves cornice. Segmental headed windows with "Board-School" glazing and continuous hood roll interrupted only by end piers. Side elevations of 16 bays, segmental headed windows in panels formed by dividing piers, plinth and modillion cornice set below eaves level. Double train sheds, still partly open to the east which is flanked by large side piers framing 2 wide segmental arches with vertical east iron glazing on a cambered base. These train shed arches are separated by a smaller segmental arch to the central platforms also with vertical cast iron glazing. Two cast iron columns with simple corinthian columns exposed below. nterior: 3 aisles of 7 bays separated by cast iron columns with simple corinthian capitals supporting girder arches. Segmental roofs, with raised centre parts over lines.
|A view looking towards the train sheds at Alnwick Station with a train standing at the platform||Link|
|Britain from above: The railway station and the town, Alnwick, from the south-east, 1932||Link|
|Historic England listing: Former Railway Terminus||Link|
|Keys to the past: Former Railway Terminus||Link|
|Wikipedia - Alnwick Railway Station||Link|