CLAYPORT STREET 1. 5330 (North-West Side) Clive House NU 1813 SW 4/36 II 2. Early C19. One and two storeys. Three and two storeys. Ashlar with plinth band. South end is one storey over basement (which is below the continued plinth band). Three light bay with cill band and bayed platform in front in centre; plate glass sash windows, flanked by glazing bar sashes North end 2 storeys with glazing bar sash windows, single hung on 1st floor; ground floor windows tall and break through basement level band. Six panel door with rectangular light above to the left. Hipped roof to south end. Gabled extension at right angles at north end. large conservatory at south end, mentioned in previous list, now demolished.
Described by Historic England as "early 19th century" and initially called Clive Villa. It is shown on Wood's 1827 map, and seems to have been been in residential use in the 1830's and the 1840's. It appears as Victoria House in the Tithe Award Plan of 1846. In 1857 it is advertised as Clive House: This mansion house, standing in a garden and pleasure grounds of an acre in extent, situate on the west side of Alnwick, and commanding extensive and beautiful views. There are three sitting rooms, three bed rooms, two kitchens, servants' rooms, stables and coach-house, entrance lodge; also, a grass field of three acres, with entry from 25th March, 1857. By around 1860 it appears to have been operating as a nursery, and the OS map surveyed in 1864 shows it surrounded by greenhouses (but still called Clive Villa). In the 1920's it was still surrounded by greenhouses. When the building was listed in 1977 there was still a large conservatory on the south end, but that no longer exists. The grounds were redeveloped as housing in the 1980s. Nearby Clive Cottage also dates from the early 19th century (before 1827) and is separately listed.