BAILIFFGATE 1. 5330 (North Side) Roman Catholic Church of St Mary NU 1813 NE 2/7 NU 1813 NW 3/7 II GV 2. 1856, by John Green. Three gabled bays, centre wider and projecting. Early English style. Three stages, centre over basement. Ashlar with ground floor string, labels to openings (with head stops on left), and string to coped gables. Centre with angle buttresses, terminating in stunted pinnacles. Central doorway with recessed trefoil lights in spandrels of pointed arch; printed arch side door to left, large square door to Presbytery on right. Lancet triplet in centre with lights surmounted by trefoil in centre. Star and blind lancets in centre gable. Blind lancets in side gables. Fleur de lys pinnacles to side gables. Interior: top lit, gallery at south end.
During its conversion in 2002 a number of significant changes were made to the building: a lift was installed to make the museum fully accessible, and the basement was extended to increase storage. The first floor gallery was extended to provide display and working areas and a new mezzanine floor was constructed, suspended from the original gallery.
The fabric of the building was however left largely intact. Original features including stained glass windows, an oak roof with gargoyles and a prominent 19th century organ are still in place.