BAILIFFGATE 1. (North Side) 5330 Church of St Mary and St Michael NU 1813 NW 3/2 II 2. Unusally large aisled church for Northumberland. Of the long single vessel apsed Norman church only fragments remain, some built into chancel arch. Present church dates largely from circa 1464 (Chartere of Henry VI) with various restorations:- by Vincent Shepherd in 1782 (when it was given a fan-vaulted plaster ceiling etc), 1818 by towns people and circa 1863 by Salvin (who restored an overall Perpendicular feeling). In plan a nave with a wide aisles of 5 bays and a chancel with chapels of 3 bays. Tower at south-west end. In elevation a 3 stage embattled C15 tower with angle buttresses having 12 set offs, and a long south aisle, its windows divided by buttresses and with unusual octagonal stair turret at south-east end. A C15 porch next to the tower, an unassuming priest's door into the south chapel. A small clerestory with paired lights not aligned with internal arcades. Large perpendicular tracery in windows. Interior: North arcade has hexagonal piers with much moulded caps and paired fluting; south arcade plain octagonal piers and carved corbel heads at rear; arcades of chancel higher and more delicate having octagonal piers containing 8 keeled shafts within cusped-head panels and angels at the arcade springing level.
|Historic England listing: Church of St Michael||Link|
|Inspired Alnwick - Parish Church of St Michael||Link|
|Keys to the past: Church of St Michael||Link|
|Skelly: St Michael's Church||File|
|St Michaels from Ratten Row||Image|
|The exterior of St Michael's Church seen from the south||Link|
|Wikipedia - St Michael's Church||Link|